Sunday, October 11, 2009

So You've Had a Bad Day

Let's face it guys, s*#t happens, ranging from big traumas to relatively much smaller ones. People get sick, people lose their cellphones, people other people love die, people have car accidents, people fall down, people have stuff get stolen, people dent their car, people are mildly disturbed by an inappropriate comment, people have cruddy days, people get stuck in elevators, people get stuck in traffic, people get stalked by creepers/creeper old men, people watch terrifying children's movies, people get lost in the rural South and then panic and proceed to drive at 90 miles an hour in the middle of nowhere in the wrong direction for an hour and a half...

Not that that last one has happened to anyone or anything.

But sometimes bad things happen, and if you're like me, you need some snuggles to make it all better. I know my nerves personally get fried sometimes due to a variety of reasons both serious and ridiculous, and one of the best ways to get me back to my normal semi-functional typical self is with snuggles! There's nothing quite like having somebody you know gives a damn wrapped around you, even if you're not quite yourself. So here are my tips for bad day/event related snuggles:

Patience is lovely and berry berry important. I know though it's like that icon of icons Madonna says, "time goes by so slowly," especially when you're upset or someone you care about is upset, so just remember that what's important is to be patient and not freak out if you're not cheered up/cheering some one up very expeditiously (wow. Expeditiously is a pretty long word now that I think about it. Awesome.). I know if I'm really upset, I don't always want to be touched right away, and it really depends on what has upset me.

It's also important to remember that you might not know everything about somebody's past, and that they might have issues with particular aspects of snuggling (This applies for all the time, but I know it can escalate when people are upset).

Be extra gentle. The upset spoon gets dibs obviously on whether he/she wants to be big or little, or if they just want hugs or another style of cuddles. Back rubs for the win to make the tension go away that tends to build up in people's shoulders/necks/backs. I know snuggling someone rigid or someone nearly curled up in the fetal position can be hard (no one ever wants to snuggle a fetus. Unless they're like a TOTAL freak or something.), but it's definitely worth it to help calm your utensil in need down. Making someone feel happy and safe is a wonderful gift, which is rather cliche, I know, but it's true. Also, playing with or petting someone's hair can be a great option, too; it tends to be very calming. People are surprisingly a lot like puppies and kitties in the way they physically respond to touch and demonstrations of affection. Some people even purr, and I know a guy whose leg wiggles like a puppy's if you play with his hair. It's greatly amusing.

Anywho, you don't have to say a lot if you don't have anything to say - what's important is that you're there with your special spoon, which I know sounds supa cliche. Wow, that makes for 2 epic cliches in one post. But whatever. It's life. Cliches make the world go round. Deal with it.

Also, since this was kind of a serious post, I'm going to blog about something super happy later, like spoon tunes!

Happy spooning!

P.S. I'm participating in a new blog about Unconventional Christians, written entirely by some delightfully unconventional people! If you've been following this blog, or if you personally know me, then I guess you know that I'm pretty unconventional in general. So, if you'd like to listen to me and some other people whom I promise are way cooler than me blab a little bit about our religious views and whatnot, you can check it out here. It's just getting started, but I think it'll shape up into a pretty cool thingermajig. Yes, I just said thingermajig; you read correctly. Congratulations, you're literate! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment