Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Chosen One

I was putting some spoons away in a drawer today, and I got really irritated at them because they refused to stay in their tidy vertical stack, especially when I attempted to close the drawer with a supa sexy hip bump.
The more spoons I added, the more easily my leaning tower of spoons fell. It was disappointing.

Then, I remembered the weird way I used to stack spoons when I was six.
I would take them so that all the bowl parts lined up, but let every other handle go towards the right so that the handles, which are generally pretty thick, wouldn't make the spoon tower as tall.
You heard me right - at age 6, I had a strategy to perfect spoon stacking stability. And yes, I know what you're thinking. Clearly, Lil Spoon must be The Chosen One, the one who can bring harmony to silverware drawers all over the world, the one we've been waiting for since the 13th Century.

Lol. If only a skill that useless could contribute to the betterment of the world.
Anyways, I stopped doing this because my mother designated me as The Chosen One (okay, as the family spoon stacker), and what six-year-old kid wants to be the spoon stacker and get called away from whatever Boxcar Children book or Arthur episode she is engrossed in just to stack spoons, which takes a good bit of time and patience when you're six and not particularly coordinated? Not I.

So what does this have to do with you, an actual human being who probably just puts spoons in a drawer like a normal person? Not a lot actually, beyond my admitting that like arranging spoons in a drawer, spooning with multiple people can get complicated. Let's face it-human beings who spoon have way more appendages than just the metal eating utensil. Things get crazy - too many legs/arms/appendages everywhere, a tremendous amount of body heat getting produced, various issues involving the height of your spoons...BUT if you take the time to strategize a little bit as you start spooning, it can be much more enjoyable. If you're spooning with a lot of people, you can organize by height. You can organize by couple if you're spooning with a bunch of dating people (which can get awkward at times, especially if you're the only single person or something - thus the strategizing can help you make it less awkward for yourself.)

Plan ahead. Channel your inner boyscout and be prepared! And then, channel your inner gymnast, and be flexible (both figuratively and literally!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment